2022 Market In Review - Not Pretty But It Could Have Been Worse
I’ve never been through a year like 2022 in my 32 years in this business. Investors understand that double-digit market drops are normal every number of years, but a double-digit stock drop with a double-digit bond market downturn at the same time? At the same time, real estate prices dropped 21% from their February 2022 peak.[i] There was no place to hide during 2022
While stock and bond indexes are still in negative territory at the time of writing, investors have experienced a solid rebound in both stocks and bonds since the lows of mid-October.
As for interest rates, after the 50 bps increase on December 7th, The Financial Post suggests that ...” we expect the Bank of Canada to keep the overnight rate there through 2023 and ease only gradually in 2024.” Stable and potentially lower interest rates in the future are often favorable for both equity and bond markets.
Old Mill Client Dinner & Presentation
It was great to see so many of you again in person at our recent client dinner at The Old Mill featuring IPC Chief Investment Strategist, Rana Chauhan. It reminded me that our last in-person event was a full three years ago.
Rana’s always colorful discussion focused on inflation, interest rates, the war, politics, and how these and other factors have affected the world economy, your portfolio, and what this may mean to us in the future.
West End Wealth Planning – Year in Review
During the past year, we have made several changes and improvements in delivering our services. These include
- Portfolio Planning
- An increased focus on lower-cost passive investments in client portfolios. Passive investments have historically performed better [on average] than active solutions.
- Sophisticated Retirement Income Planning Software
- We introduced highly sophisticated “Conquest” retirement planning software allowing us to analyze the best and most tax-efficient way to stream your retirement income and create the most tax-efficient estate.
- “Retirement Straight Talk with Paul & William– New Podcast
- The media contains numerous get-rich-quick schemes, often misleading predictions, investment recommendations, and wealth planning strategies suitable for a few yet often marketed as ideal for the many. I wanted to cut through the confusion and contradictory advice and communicate proven reliable wealth strategies. The result is our new weekly podcast, “Retirement Straight Talk with Paul and William”. These 10 to 12 minutes podcasts are available on Apple Music, Spotify Youtube, and more.
I hope you listen, subscribe, rate and forward to other interested individuals. Please feel free to email email@example.com with topics that you like us to discuss.
Click here to listen to the podcast. Click here to watch Podcasts
Youth Without Shelter - Christmas Dinner
Each night in Toronto, up to 2,000 youths struggle to find a safe place to call home. During the holiday season, when most get together with family, the harsh reality of youths estranged from family becomes even more prominent.
The West End Wealth Team is continuing its ongoing support for this wonderful local charity. We will be providing a Christmas dinner for approximately 40 Youth at the shelter on December 20th and a financial contribution.
Those wishing to help out during this season of giving can do so by clicking below
Thanks to 5 generous benefactors, all donations made until December 31 will be matched up to a total of $140,000. No donation is too small.
Wishing you and your loved ones all the best during this holiday season.
Paul, William,& Vikki
Don’t forget to subscribe and rate our Podcast